Thu 27 Nov 2008
In Jira there is a fixed role “project lead” for each single project which is assigned in the projects configuration. The only default use of this role is as the default assigne of created issues. The problem here is that you can’t change this behaviour (see http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3523).
So if you assign “project lead” to the administrative project lead, the mailbox of this person will be filled up with messages on issue creation. This might not be exactly what you wanted.
What possibilities are there to avoid such a problem? (Some only for Jira Enterprise).
- Using the role “project lead” as a proxy between customers and project team members. In this case don’t use the role “project lead” in your permission scheme, define your own role like “project manager” or similiar and use this instead. And:
- Assign “project lead” to a moderator or support team member.
- Assign “project lead” to a dummy user with a catch-all IMAP mailbox.
- Allow unassigned issues: Check admin -> global-settings for “allow unassigned issues” and set this in the project configuration as default
- You can configure a different default assignee for each component of a project. See http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/component_management.html
- Edit you current Notification Scheme and remove Current Assignee from Notification on Issue Created.